Staying active is so important right now but can be difficult while we are staying home! So, we want to help you set up a space that you want to workout in. It is easy to place a yoga mat in front of the TV, in the living room or in the bedroom. But it is best to have your own private space for a workout room to avoid any distractions.
1) Find a space in your home that no one else uses regularly. This can be an office, basement, sun room. Ideally a spot that no one will distract you.
2) The brighter the better. If the room has windows that’s a great start. I recommend giving the room a bright paint job. This will only set you back $50 to $60. A brighter space will be more inviting to workout in.
3) Flooring – laminate or hardwood would be best if you sweat! Although you do not want to damage your floor with weights so a good quality yoga mat that will absorb some impact would be recommended. If you are in a basement, I recommend looking into getting a quality rubber flooring to cover a 10 x 10 space to give you a more defined workout zone.
4) Lighting- simply change out your light bulbs for brighter ones to give your space more brightness and openness. You could also add an additional floor lamp.
5) Equipment essentials:
- Dumbbells – I find a set of 8 to 15lbs gets the job done. If you can afford to get more than go for it. You can usually find them for about $1 per pound. These will cost you $50 to $80.
- Kettlebell – 22 to 26lbs is a good starting point and will cost you approximately $40.
- Mini bands – you can get a set of 3 for about $10.
- Medicine ball – 10 to 15lbs will work well and costs approximately $35.
- Stability Ball – you can find one of these for $20 to $30.
- Yoga Mat – Available in a variety of colours and can be purchased for $30.
- Superband – You will be able to purchase a superband from $5 to $10.
For approximately $200 you can get everything you need! You can find equipment on Amazon and if you sign up for Amazon Prime trial you can get free shipping on all the heavy equipment! I also deal with the Treadmill Factory in southern Ontario and they do deliver but it can add a significant cost depending on weight.
6) A Bluetooth speaker to connect your favourite music to from your phone.
Now you have a fully equipped personal gym to use year round when you can’t get to the gym!
Most Important – you need a plan! What will you be doing each day and when will you be doing it? Need help book a call with us to build a personal plan.