Making fitness a habit is what will make it a lifestyle and not just a three-month stint. Here are a few simple ways to make your fitness habit stick.
1) Exercise daily. If you want change it is going to take work daily not just two days a week. This doesn’t mean you have to be at the gym everyday, you can do two to three days at the gym and three days walking. Make it a habit of doing some sort of physical activity daily. If you only move three times a week it is hard to build a new habit.
2) Exercise at the same time each day. Pick the time you are committing to exercise and stick to it daily. If you work shift work some days may vary but keep it consistent.
3) Have a plan on paper. Know what you will be doing each day. The last thing you want to do is wake up and decide if you are going to the gym or going for a walk. Plan out your week ahead of time.
4) Have an accountability partner. Whether it be your spouse, friend, kids or a coach. Have someone you must report too daily, weekly or monthly so that you are held accountable.
5) If you miss a day don’t sweat it. Just get back on track the next day. Many people have the mindset that if they miss a workout or eat something bad then they should stop everything and start again next week. This is a recipe for failure. You need to be consistent, not perfect.
How are you going to build on your fitness habits this week? It can be as little as starting to move each day for 15 or 20 minutes, or if you are already working out daily it may be a habit of waking up 10 minutes earlier before your 6am workout to get your mind focused instead of just jumping into things so that you can get the most out of your workout.
Keep up the good work!