Health and fitness can be overwhelming, even for trainers and those that have been in the industry. There are always new products, methods and science. How do we know what works and what doesn’t? We go back to the fundamentals and basics. For most people they are overwhelmed with all the information out there and they try something new and fancy like a new diet or type of workout when they don’t have the basic fundamentals nailed down. But that’s why we are here to filter all that information for you and let you know what will work and what is just another product or technique being marketed.
So if you are just getting started or trying to get back into your routine after being out of it, here is where to start:
1) Move daily – start with 2 -3 days a week of higher intensity activity (a fitness class or structured workout) and then 3 days of light movement (walk, jog or hike) and a day of play (bike, rollerblade, hike, beach volleyball)
The goal is to build an active lifestyle and not just workout 2 -3 days a week and sit on the couch the rest of the time.
2) Drink more water – we all need to. Make sure to drink half your body weight in ounces per day. Drinking more water can solve a lot of issues that you may have.
3) Start your day with positivity – don’t just wake up and check you phone and let the day own you. Get in a workout, do yoga, go for a walk, read a motivating book, listen to a podcast. Set the tone for the day first thing in the morning. This is guaranteed to change the outcome of your day.
4) Eat often. Eat every 3 to 4 hours and avoid simple sugar. Muffins, donuts, candy bars, pop. Cut down on added sugar to kick-start your nutrition.
5) Get more sleep. Go to bed an hour earlier, get some extra sleep to help your body recover for your workouts.
These are a few simple fundamentals that when implemented will make a big difference. These can also be used as a starting point for your fitness journey.
* We are back coaching you in person! Social distancing is in effect! Personal Training and Group Classes are now available! See new class schedule here! *
Book a free call here for more coaching.