It is easy to get overwhelmed and not know where to start when it comes to improving your nutrition. We often think we need to go on a diet or quick fix to get results, but we know that does not work long term. Think of it as doing a renovation project. You can rush through a project and get the result you want quickly but chances are the quality of the job will be poor. Then you will have to re-do the job in the near future. When you take a few extra days or weeks to do the job properly and precisely then you will be happy for a long time. This is the same concept you should use when working on your eating habits. Yes, changing small habits at a time will take longer to see results, but the results will last! That’s is why today I am going to share five simple habits you can do now, that will change your health for the better.
- Water – Drink half your body weight in ounces each day. As soon as you wake up have a class of water and continue to drink throughout the day.
- Veggies twice per day – Aim to get veggies in with at least two meals each day. Try getting veggies in with lunch and dinner or a snack.
- Use a smaller plate – At lunch and dinner instead of using a normal size plate use a smaller plate. Most of us are taught to not waste food and clean our plate. Using a smaller plate will allow you to take less food and not overeat at dinner.
- Protein with each meal – Try to get a protein source in at each meal/snack to help keep you full. You can use foods such as nuts, seeds, nut butters, yogurt, eggs, hummus, beans, chicken, meat and fish.
- Use the plate method – When not sure how much of each food group to have us the plate method. One quarter of your plate is protein, half your plate is vegetables and the final quarter of your plate is carbohydrate.
If you are not doing so already, try incorporating these five habits for the next four weeks and see how it changes your energy, mood and your overall health. Once you have these basic habits down you can then dig a bit deeper and look at your nutrition more in depth and build more positive habits.
Book a free call here for more coaching.